Saturday, May 06, 2006

Bowfishing

Today, if I have a little extra time, I am going bowfishing. For the outdoor illiterate, bowfishing is not fishing for bows, it is fishing with a bow. And arrow. The arrow is attached to the bow with a string. You shoot, and hopefully hit a fish, and pull it in with the string. The arrow has a barb on it to prevent the fish from slipping off.

The target is rough fish, carp and suckers. The reason is mostly just for kicks. These fish aren't much good to eat, although I may smoke a couple if I have the time and ambition. Otherwise, they make good fertilizer when buried in the garden. Last year my brother shot one that was over 25 pounds.

One needed piece of equipment: Polarized sunglasses. I recommend them for any fishing where you want to or need to see the fish. They are not xray vision, but they do help some. They seem to make all they difference some days. Otherwise, see your local archery shop for equipment.

But I also have to plant potatoes, carrots, and onions, check my pocket gopher traps, maybe mow. So, I might not have much time for sticking fish.

No comments: